Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Well, obviously, haven't been updating this too often, but we've been busy. We hosted our first Thanksgiving at our house this year. Walt and Judy flew in from Corpus Christi, Texas. We waited for Amber and Stuart to get back from their honeymoon, so we had it on Sat. instead of Thursday. Lisa and Dennis came too, so we had a good, fun crowd. The food was great, the people were great and the entertainment was great (Catch Phrase and then Kansas University beating Florida in basketball)! We also took Walt and Judy on our boat downtown and ate at River City Brewing Company, went to Huguenot State Park and drove on the beach there, and went to the always entertatining and unique Clark's Fish Camp. Another huge happening they were able to witness was the picking of our first orange from our orange tree. We had a ceremonial sharing of the orange at Thanksgiving dinner. We had a fun time and were glad they visited.

Dustin also ran a half marathon when they were here on Thanksgiving morning. He ran a fast 1 hour, 36 minute half marathon (his PR-personal record). I don't think I ever mentioned his marathon time of 3:50:11 in DC (probably because I was jealous I never ran a sub 4 hour marathon). He is getting a little too fast for me, but I guess I'm used to him surpassing me in sports now. I still don't handle it very well, because I am very competitive, but I've somewhat accepted it now. Even though I don't beat his times, I've gotten more medals in triathlons than him because I place in my age group for females. That's what I have to tell myself to make me feel better when he crushed my times. We ran a Turkey Trot 5k on Nov. 18th and he came in first in his age group (20-29) for males, and I actually came in 1st out of all females in the race, so that was awesome. I got a trophy and he got a medal and we were pretty excited that we could compete in short races even though we've been training for more endurance.

We've been decorating for Christmas and I am now working on sending out a holiday greeting. It gets so hectic with the holidays, I figured I better do it now. It's hard to get in the holiday spirit with 80 degree temps. I was outside putting bows on the house today with flip flops, shorts, and a sleeveless shirt. I have to blare the Christmas music and make chocolate chip cookies to stay in the Christmas spirit. We are planning to leave for KC on the 20th and then fly to STL on the 24th and spend a few days there. Then, my parents are driving us back to Jacksonville! I know, kinda crazy; long story, but screw-ups with our plane tickets and pricing, plus my parents wanted to see our house decorated for Christmas. They will be here for New Years Eve and we are hosting a party again this year, so that should be fun. I really think the holidays are all about being with family and close friends and showing them how much they mean to you.

Another thing we have been thinking a lot about is our friend's dad who was diagnosed with lung cancer three weeks ago. Before that, he was a perfectly healthy 60 year old trying to help his wife recover from breast cancer. He came down with a cold, then went into the hospital, then the ICU, then passed away (way too quickly) this Saturday. We can't stop thinking about this and why something like this would happen to a great guy like this. We were lucky enough to meet him at Easter and he was just so full of life! It's hard to believe. I just hope that we can be there for her and her family. It's so hard to lose loved ones near the holidays especially. It just makes you think about how lucky you are to be on this earth every single day. I know I am not taking for granted my health or anyone else's, and I will always live life to the fullest!

2 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hey everyone, I'm new! ..... just made my profile. Everyone says I need to share

something so I Just thought I'd let you know a place where I made an extra $800 last month!
Click here to find out more!
Be sure to check out my new page. :)

3:36 AM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hey everyone, I'm new! ..... just made my profile. Everyone says I need to share

something so I Just thought I'd let you know a place where I made an extra $800 last month!
Click here to find out more!
Be sure to check out my new page. :)

5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home