Sunday, June 17, 2007

Once again, life has caught up with me and the blog has gotten the back burner. First of all, my grandma is done with all her chemo and now she has to wait over a month for another scan to see if the tumors are gone, so it’s just a waiting game now. She is in good spirits and she did VERY well with chemo, especially for being 80 years old. I am proud of her, and I know that sounds weird coming from a grandaughter to a grandmother, but I am proud of her strength and positive attitude and I could only hope that I would have the same if I ever was diagnosed of cancer. You know that is one of the most widely feared things in the US—getting cancer.
So, we haven’t been doing our training calendar 100%. As I said before, life intervened and we had other things to do with the business and with fundraising. We got our Medicare number finally after 216 days of waiting, so now we will actually be able to bill for our services that we have rendered since October. We were also "spring cleaning" getting ready for a garage sale we had Saturday. We raised $460 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society so that was awesome. Amber and Stuart donated some items and helped keep us company, so that was really nice!
As for our training, last week after we ran our 10 awful miles on Wednesday. On Thursday, we went to spin and swim and swam 2250 meters. Friday, we were off, and Saturday we had our first sprint tri of the season, the BFAST in Ponte Vedra. We did really well and both set our new P Rs (personal record). Dustin did the .25 mile swim, 10.5 mile bike and 3.1 mile run in 1 hour and 3 minutes and won the military division. I did the sprint distance in 1 hour and 7 minutes and came in 3rd in my age group, 25-29. I missed 2nd place by 20 seconds, so I will be trying even harder next time! We both got ceramic mugs that said 1st and 3rd on them. Later that evening, Dustin drank beer out of his while I drank milk (cause I’m a good girl). When we returned home after the sprint, we were extremely tired from getting up at 4:45 for the race, we had also downed Sticky Fingers BBQ (Dustin had four pulled pork sandwiches and 4 wings), plus it was over 90 degrees out and humid, but we still (thanks to my coaxing) ran 5 more miles in the heat for a total of 8.1 miles that day. See, we love the sprints, but we can’t let them take away from our Ironman training. 1 hour of training is not going to help us for a possible 17 hour race.
Sunday, we talked Amber and Stuart into coming to the beach with us to meet the Hammerheads for an ocean swim around the buoys. We swam about 600 yards, and Amber and Stuart practiced going to the buoys and they did very well (we are trying to prep them to do their first sprint this summer). Dustin and I got out of the water and took a 40 mile bike ride on A1A (our schedule said 60, but neither of us felt well and I was proud that we stuck the 40 out!). When we came back, we went to the jazz concert at the seawalk pavillion and then went to Carabba’s for dinner.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, sad to say were wasted days because of rain, the threat of storms (although we should have still ran and biked), and our need to get a bunch of other junk done! Thursday, we decided to play catch up (although that is not recommended). We woke up early about 6 AM and ran 12 miles. It was beautiful weather, not too hot yet and it even sprinkled a refreshing rain on us a couple times. We did three four mile out and backs and we both felt pretty good. We came back to our house twice for gu, water, and gatorade. It does take discipline to leave the house again to go on another run when all you want to do is crawl back in bed, but we did it!
After working a full day, we also went to spin and swim (so basically we did a backwards triathlon). We swam about 2750 in the pool, which is over a mile and a half, but we both did well. Dustin says he’s proud of how I have improved my swimming (I’m not too far behind him in the pool), so that makes me feel really good!
Friday, we were off and needed it for our sore muscles from the day before. After work, we went to Micheal’s (one of the team leaders for TNT) for a BBQ "send off" party for our TNT event (which is the sprint next Saturday at Little Talbot Island). We had a good time with our team members and got our TNT tri suits which are just too cute. Saturday morning, we did our garage sale and baked in the sun, and then went to our neighbors’, Ben and Gina’s for their daughter, Isabelle’s 5th birthday Luau party and ate all kinds of lumpia and pancet (Phillipino food). That probably wasn’t a great idea because we had a 5K race at 8 PM called Run for the Pies! We convinced Amber and Stuart to do it with us and we all did well. Guys have to run it in under 20 minutes to get a pie and girls have to run under 24 minutes. Dustin missed the cut off by 30 seconds because of side cramps, so he was disappointed even though that is a very fast 5K time and he should be proud (and a PR no less!). I made the cut off by 30 seconds, but they ran out of pies just before me, so that really sucked! The whole reason I wanted to do the race and I didn’t even get the freakin pie! I don’t really know why I wanted a pie so bad, I don’t even really like pie, but I guess it was just the concept. I also had a PR for adulthood (cause I’m not sure what I used to run cross country races in). We got free beer at the end (I gave mine to Dustin and Stuart), and free pizza. We met other TNTers there and everyone did really well. It’s so nice to have active friends and be able to visit with them at races; it’s like a whole different "happy hour." We also can’t forget to tell you that Amber ended up beating Stuart in the race (which I was betting on). I think Amber got the bug to compete, so that’s awesome (I can tell there is a really competitive girl lurking inside her waiting to get out and beat us all). We didn’t get home until almost 11 PM and didn’t get to bed until almost 12, but we still managed to get up just after 5 AM this morning.
Why, you ask? Because we are driving over 2 hours to get to some hills to practice biking on something that might be comparable to Wisconsin hills. We are in the car with 116 miles left to go at 7:10 AM and we are planning on biking 70 miles today! Hopefully it will all go well. We have never biked this infamous 10 mile loop before and we are going by ourselves, but some of our Hammerhead team emailed us maps and links, so I think we have it all figured out. Hopefully we won’t get lost and we are hoping the hills won’t disappoint us (meaning, we actually hope that they are really big hills!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home