Sunday, August 31, 2008

On Friday, Beth took me to the airport (thanks Beth) and got there in plenty of time for my flight to Miami. I took one of those small planes down to Miami and they had weather when we were getting ready to land, so we circled once and then came down-no big deal, but I was worried about later when I had to take off for Curacao, if there were going to be a bunch of delays because of weather. I tried to sit patiently in the airport reading magazines for 3 hours. I sat exactly where we sat when we were leaving on our sailboat cruise and got the same pizza hut cheese pizza that I got that day (well, hopefully it wasn't the SAME exact pizza!). I tried to watch the news with no sound about the hurricanes and about John McCain picking his running mate. I have email set up on my phone right now, so I was able to get emails from Dustin (they come through like text messages that I can type and respond to his email address). He told me they were there and safe and he was hoping to get off the ship around 2 PM. I was so wishing I was already there! He said he was going to check into our room (which he had to switch because of construction nearby and wet carpet smell). I finally boarded the 737 that took me to Curacao. I had a whole row to myself, so I layed down and took a nap the WHOLE magazines, nothing to drink, just slept! When I awoke, I found the customs info I had to fill out lying on my stomach!

So, I filled that out and we landed at about 7:30. It was dark and I couldn't tell much about Curacao yet. I realized when I went to turn my phone on, that Dustin didn't have his phone and I was just hoping he would be there when I came out, or I didn't know what I would do. I went through customs (first time to do that by myself), got my luggage, and went through another checkpoint and it filtered us straight outside! What the heck? All the taxi drivers were there and a bunch of people waiting, but I didn't see Dustin! Then, I turned the corner and there he was, cuter than ever! He was smiling really big and I ran up and gave him a huge hug and kiss. It was funny that being married over 4 years, and not seeing each other for 30 days, we reverted right back to that moment in October of 2001 when he visited me for the first time (after meeting in Dec of 1999). We were kind of awkwardly hugging and kissing, but so excited to be by each others sides. Being the sweet guy he is, he told me how beautiful I looked and that I looked skinnier than when he left (it's true because I've been eating less and drinking less wine without him around).

The cabbie that took Dustin to the airport, for some reason, wanted to stay around with him for over an hour before I arrived, so we took the same cab back to the hotel, got to call my Dad from his cell phone (that was nice) just to tell him I was safe. For some reason, in the 2 weeks with Tropical Storm Fay and me traveling alone, my Dad has turned into a worry wart! I love ya DAD!

We got to the Marriot and Dustin showed me our room that is RIGHT beside the pool. (I am sitting on our patio about 20 feet from the pool right now typing this, even though they said the wireless internet does not work in the rooms.) The pool looks right out over the ocean. We have a sliver of an ocean view from our room. The beach is nice and it curves around a bit around the resort. It's funny, because like Dustin said, we were so concentrated on being excited about seeing each other, we didn't really think about the fact that people plan for years to come to this resort on vacation, and we planned ours less than a month ago. We only had to pay for airfare for one also!

Oh my gosh, there are HUGE lizards here and one just came scurrying up the mulch by our patio and almost hopped right onto my feet! Yuck! I'm used the small ones in Jacksonville, but these are huge, some of them over a foot long!

We ate dinner when got back to the hotel at one of the hotel bars and had some yummy calamari and ahi tuna. We had our first glass of wine together in 30 days, so that was nice! We then hung out around the pool for awhile. We had so much to tell each other; we were cutting each other off left and right, and we were so happy there wasn't a delay in the communication like the phone calls have. We showed each other pictures from our cameras and he gave me a shot glass he bought in Panama and a really pretty real emerald necklace he bought me in Colombia. I felt pretty lame, but I gave him some new workout shorts that I bought him because he said he didn't have enough. I also brought him our old showerhead that he asked for at the last minute because he wants to replace the one on the ship! We went to bed around midnight that night.

Yesterday was really fun. We had an expensive breakfast buffet at Portofino, a restaurant at our resort. It was pretty good though. It felt weird eating a breakfast buffet with only two people at our table (it seemed as though we were waiting for Walt, Judy, Shelley, Alan, Travis, and Robin to join us like it was on our sailboat cruise!)

We then went to get towels and head for the beach for awhile, when we ran into a few of Dustin's shipmates. That was funny to see them. We picked an awesome spot on the beach where the breeze was strong (otherwise it is HOT!!!) We had ocean on three sides of us and it was beautiful. We hung out there for awhile and took pictures (we'll send them when we get back). Dustin signed up for his diving and then we got a drink at this cute hut bar called the Boardroom where we sat on a double swing. Then, we came back and headed for the pool. We were tring to get in some shade in the water when somebody tried swimming through Dustin's legs......the same shipmates we saw before. So, we hung out with them in the pool while they told me drunken stories (of the past, but they could have been drunk telling them also). We swam up to the bar where the barstools were under the water and got another drink. I LOVE those kind of bars! Then, we went to the hotel casino and played blackjack for awhile (like Vegas, you get free drinks while you play). Those ended up being expensive drinks, because our luck was not with us YET!

As we were exiting the casino, we ran into Dustin's captain and XO (the two most important people on his ship). They came over to us and welcomed me; they are both really nice. They invited us to a wetting down which means somebody on the ship made rank (got a promotion), so that person has to buy the other shipmates drinks for three hours. We will probably go there tomorrow evening. I'm planning on asking them if Dustin can stay the last night with me in the hotel instead of having to report back on the ship at midnight the last night we can spend together! We'll see how it goes; I'll have to practice batting my eyelashes.....maybe I'll get fake eyelashes! Just kidding!

Anyway, this is getting long, hopefully none of you have anything to do but read this blog.....last night Dustin made a reservation at a Brazilian place where they come serve you ungodly amounts of meat and there's a buffet of other side foods. We had been to one in Jville and it was awesome, but this wasn't so much. It pretty much sucked! I'm not a huge meat person anyway, but wanted to go because Dustin wanted to go. He agreed it sucked! The meat was not tender at all and there wasn't even any filet mignon! Basically, I paid $28 for very good potato salad! We also ordered a bottle of B and G Merlot, so that was cool! Speaking of cool, that's exactly what the surroundings were NOT! We were sweating profusely the whole time we were eating because it was outside and there was no breeze where we were sitting!

After dinner, we walked to his ship and took some pictures and then took a free shuttle for the sailors back to the Marriot. We wanted to go out dancing, but our stomachs were so full of nasty meat that we just fell asleep watching TV. Pretty lame, I know, but the rest of the day was packed full of fun, so we were tired.

Ok, so I waited to finish this blog until Dustin was back from diving and he is safely back and had fun. He went on one with a bunch of cars that fell off of a ferry along time ago. He said it was cool and he saw a lot of stuff. After his return, we had lunch at the Boardroom and drank some margaritas with some of his shipmates. We got in the water a little bit and now we are back at the room deciding what to do next. We think we are gonna head to a happy hour at Mambo beach with some of his shipmates. They are all a lot of fun.

Happy Anniversary today to Travis and Robin, Jeff and Kendra, and Tony and Asta! We are having a toast for you guys tonight! I think all you guys were married on the same exact day in 2002, so that's awesome! Also, I waited to publish this blog and send the email until Dustin was safely back from diving because I knew some of you would worry. (Becky and my Dad) We love you guys and our thoughts are with those of you worrying about Gustav and Hanna storms. We have no worries out there though; no rain in days according to the locals despite all the Carribean storms. They say here in the southern Carribean, we are safe from the hurricane belt! We miss you all and thanks for reading my blog.


Post a Comment

<< Home